This is a topic I want to talk about because in my Luxembourgish coaching sessions I frequently hear my students hesitating whether they should say si or hatt when talking about a woman or a girl. Now a question to you:
Do you know when you should say in Luxembourgish si or hatt. Because both si and hatt translate into she (and her – depending on the verb used in the sentence).
Not really? What is the difference? Are you also thinking:
How will I ever get this right?
First of all, and especially at the beginning of your language learning journey, it is normal to make mistakes. And I will help you to understand this subject in a very easy way:
hatt (casual) is used when talking about:
- a woman we know well, or
- a girl who is relatively young, or
- your own daughter, or a young female of your family.
- D’Laura geet muer an d’Vakanz. Hatt flitt op New York. – Laura is going on holiday tomorrow. She will fly to New York.
- Mäi Meedchen geet samschdes an d’Schwämm. Hatt schwëmmt gär. – My daughter goes to the swimming pool on Saturdays. She likes to swim.
- Hues du dem Tom seng nei Frëndin gesinn? Hatt ass immens léif. – Have you seen Tom’s new girlfriend? She is very nice.
si (formal) conveys a certain respect and is used when talking about:
- a woman who is famous, or
- a woman who is older than you (your mother for instance), or
- a woman who has a position of power (the CEO of a company, for example).
- D’Angela Merkel kënnt muer op Lëtzebuerg. Si trëfft sech mam Xavier Bettel. – A. Merkel is coming to Luxembourg tomorrow. She will meet with X. Bettel.
- Meng Bomi ass gëschter gefall. Si huet sech d’Hand gebrach. – My grandma fell yesterday. She broke her hand.
- Meng Cheffin huet de Moien e Rendez-vous mat engem neie Client. Si ass ganz nervös. – My boss has an appointment with a new client this morning. She is very nervous.
So that’s the rule. Do you now understand the difference between si and hatt?
Is it si or hatt?
- Meng Duechter geet haut net an d’Schoul. _______ ass krank.
- Ech hunn d’Madamm Weber gëschter gesinn. _________ war eleng an der Stad.
- Meng Nopesch ass eng eeler Fra. Mee, ______ ass ganz gesond.
Check the solution by downloading the PDF and practice with MORE sentences to complete !
I hope you liked it and found it useful. And …. why not sharing this lesson with your friends:-)